Thursday, May 28, 2015

We're All in the Same Boat

Last Friday was the final day of surgery, for this field service, on the Africa Mercy (AFM). Quickly the patient beds have emptied, those who have been in rehab for months are heading home, and the wards are getting prepared for "pack up". My friends and crew members have started trickling out the doors, leaving empty pockets around the ship that was so bustling and crowded just a few short weeks ago. And in just two days' time, I will be one of those walking down the gangway to start my journey home. There are so many things I can't wait for: seeing my family, taking a shower that lasts more than two minutes, eating at any time of the day I want & whatever I want, driving! At the same time, there are many things here that I'm sad to leave. Since I am returning for the beginning of the next field service, there are not quite so many losses for me this time around. I will still be coming back to this incredible community, still working with our Malagasy patients, and seeing many of our same day crew. At the same time, I am saying goodbye to many patients and friends who have touched my heart.

Being on the Africa Mercy is a unique experience that's difficult to describe. In fact, it seems almost daunting, but I'll do my best. Instead of being asked "Why would you want to go live on a ship in Africa?", you are surrounded by people who want the very same thing, who are here with the same desire to serve. And we live with, eat with, work with, and travel with these same 400 crew members day in and day out.  While we deal with the typical problems that happen when you live in such a tight community (gossip, finding anywhere to be alone for five minutes, following strict rules, "laundry rage"), there is also a lot of grace and understanding that I think would be difficult to find anywhere else. We have lived through this experience together, faced and overcome the same challenges... we are *lit'rally* in the same boat. Although the people who actually keep this boat running would like to ensure that I let you know it is actually a ship, not a boat.

Crew having a special dinner on the dock.

We had our final, in port, fire drill last week, with a simulated mass casualty situation. All the nurses were called back onto the ship to help triage and care for the "patients", while the fire crew, reception, and other crew members carried out their functions. In the midst of all of this, I was impressed by the teamwork that I saw. Everyone was working to ensure the safety of the crew and hospital, even in a drill situation. A popular phrase on the ship goes, "You come as a _______ (fill in the blank: nurse), and leave as a crew member". No statement could be more true. Everyone works to fill in the gaps to make this work. Nurses clean floors & count inventory in containers, chaplaincy members work extra hours in the cafe, deckhands works as volunteer firefighters, and our communications team travels days to return patients home. And when we have a patient who needs a miracle, the whole crew steps in... to provide blood for transfusions, to physically take care of them, to clean up after them, to visit on the wards and keep patients entertained, to cook meals for them day in and day out, to pray for the patients & the staff looking after them. It takes a village to do this work, and I have been so very blessed & grateful to be a part of the crew this field service.

In the spirit of wrapping things up for the field service, I'd like to give you a couple little updates on some patients who have been a special part of this service:


Sambany is home! After several months with Mercy Ships, our comms team made the several day journey with him to his village.... even running into his wife along the road! They shared the whole story with us tonight at our community meeting, and I cannot wait for them to put it all together so that you can view some of the footage after following his journey all this time. Seeing him climb those mountains on the way home, it's difficult to believe that he had to be carried over them by six people on his way to the ship. What an incredible transformation!

This beautiful girl is Lixia! After five months on the ship she, along with her lovely older sister who cared for her, left today with about twenty nurses standing on the dock crying and waving them off. She was one of our burn patients with an arm contracture, who had a difficult time healing. At one time, the surgeons weren't even sure that her graft would heal... we had her on a wound vac, yet were not seeing progress. Now, against all odds, she is almost completely healed, and able to head back home to where she lives with her aunt & uncle. During her time here, Lixia practiced her writing, we listened to a lot of "Call Me Maybe", she learned more English than I thought was possible while also teaching us Malagasy, and we celebrated her birthday. She was one who definitely captured our hearts, and will be missed.

The little girl sitting on the bed next to my friend Heather, and in the midst of all that confetti, is Mioty. She lost her nose after an animal bit her when she was just a baby, and so Dr. Gary has made her a new one. The nursing staff on D ward did incredible work with this little one. When she first came she wouldn't let any "vazas" near her, screamed during every treatment, and was generally distrustful of everyone. But over time, with care & lots of love, she has opened up. So much so, that while I was working a shift as charge on the ward this week she came and sat on the stool next to me and pulled out a sticker book. As she looked at me very intently, she began to sing her favorite song ("bless the Lord oh my soul, ohhhhh my soul") in her girlish voice before picking a sticker, kissing it, and placing it on my forehead. It is a moment that has been ingrained in my heart.  

This service has been full of little moments like that, that have been such a blessing to me! Thank you everyone for the support, encouragement, and donations that have made this field service possible. See you all soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment